We offer advanced technology in digital based Ultrasound equipment in our office. Diagnostic Ultrasound is rapidly becoming a first choice imaging modality for soft tissue pathology of the musculoskeletal system. Diagnostic ultrasound has several advantages over MRI in the extremities. From a cost containment perspective, it is more affordable and can provide real-time dynamic imaging information that MRI cannot. Patients may be scanned in the acute inflammatory phase of their injury without discomfort. Also, the non-invasive nature of the exam and absence of radiation is preferred by most patients.
Ultrasound diagnostic technology has been applied to the diagnosis of a variety of disorders affecting foot and ankle. Ultrasound images are typically used to help diagnose:
- tendon tears, such as tears of the plantar fascia in foot or Achilles tendon in the ankle
- heel spur
- cystic masses
- plantar fibroma
- ligament tears
- tibialis posterior dysfunction or rupture
- foreign body-wood, plastic, glass
- ankle sprain/strain
- diabetic ulceration
- abnormalities of the muscles, such as tears and soft-tissue masses
- bleeding or other fluid collections within the muscles, bursae and joints
- small benign and malignant soft tissue tumors
- early changes of rheumatoid arthritis
- ultrasound guided injections or aspirations.